Deadline for scholarships (unless otherwise noted) IS:
Friday, MARCH 1, 2019
(Application Closes at 11:59pm)
The Charlevoix County Community Foundation (C3F) offers scholarships to help area students with financial responsibilities associated with higher education. Most scholarships offered through the C3F are for graduating seniors (primarily graduating from a Charlevoix County school) as they pursue higher education, however a few opportunities exist for those in neighboring counties or for those already in a post-secondary program and continuing in a specific field of study. To see all opportunities and deadlines that apply, see the lists below. For additional descriptions and detail about each scholarships eligibility requirements, follow the "Apply Now" link and then select the "Scholarship" tab on the left side.
Application Process Overview
- Organize the following information prior to applying:
- Academic Transcript with up-to-date CGPA (digital file ready to upload)
- One page FAFSA document with EFC number *not required for all scholarships (digital file ready to upload)
- A compiled list of all academic and extra-curricular school activities throughout high school (activity, time involved/month, school year)
- A compiled list of all community service throughout high school (activity, time involved/month, school year)
- A compiled list of all honors and awards received (include school year(s))
- Your employment history and/or use of summertime
- Personal statement - focus topics may vary based on scholarship criteria
- Create an account using your name and email address (its recommended that you do NOT use your high school email address, as you will not use this email in the future)
- Fill out the entire application until all sections are marked "complete" (application can be started, saved and completed at a later date)
- Complete any additional requirements for the scholarships listed on your "dashboard"- each one will require that you "submit" separately
- Scholarship recipients will be announced at your school's awards ceremony (continuing education applicants will hear from the C3F directly)
Important Note - Please be careful to submit accurate and complete applications.
graduating seniors (including Early College 5th year seniors) All due March 1, 2019:
If you are an Early College Program Participant, you need to apply in your fifth year, the last year of the Early College Program. Full list of scholarships available to graduating seniors.
Continuing Education (already in post-secondary school with specific deadlines, as listed):
- Geography Degree: Mark Clute Mapping Technologies Scholarship (Deadline March 1, 2019)
- Medical Field: Munson Healthcare Charlevoix Hospital Staff Education Scholarship (Deadline June 30, 2019)
- Nursing Field:
Bill and Jerry Brady Memorial (Deadline June 30, 2019)
Edna Brown Nursing (Deadline June 30, 2019)
Munson Healthcare Charlevoix Hospital Nursing (Deadline June 30, 2019)
Peggy Carey Northway Nursing (Deadline June 30, 2019)
Award & Payment Process:
If you are awarded a scholarship, you will be asked to log back into the scholarship system (the same way that you applied) to accept your scholarship and provide any additional information needed. You may be required to supply a thank you note to the donor(s). Scholarship checks WILL NOT be processed until you accept your scholarship online. The Community Foundation will make scholarship checks payable to the program, college or university indicated on the form and the check will be sent directly to the financial aid office in mid-July. The scholarship will be split between the semesters/terms and must be used only for non-taxable purposes including tuition, books, fees and/or equipment for coursework according to the Internal Revenue Service guidelines. Scholarship amounts are based on the availability of funds and are non-renewable unless otherwise indicated.
- NOTE: Students may request a deferred payment for up to one year. This exception is made on a case-by-case basis, depending on the student’s circumstances. Please contact the Community Foundation at 231-536-2440 if you need to take advantage of having your scholarship deferred. Awarded scholarships must be claimed or deferred by OCTOBER 31st or the scholarship will no longer be available.
Scholarship renewals will be managed through the scholarship link as well. You will receive an email if your scholarship is in need of further documentation for renewal purposes (in late January of the following year).
(Note: Renewal information will be emailed to the email address that was provided on your application. If there is a change in your email address, be sure to contact the C3F as soon as possible. If you think your scholarship is renewable and you have not been contacted by C3F, please call and double check your status before March 1st.) Renewable scholarships must be claimed by March 1st.
Questions about the application process? Talk to your high school guidance counselor or give us a call at 231.536.2440
YOUTH Campership Scholarship Opportunity: Due Friday, February 15, 2019
Jack Laucher Outdoor Education Fund Scholarship: APplication
Jackson B. Laucher was an educator at Charlevoix-Emmet Intermediate School District (Char-Em ISD) who believed that all children can benefit from an outdoor experience. Jack chose to work with children who faced physical and educational challenges. He believed that nature and outdoor experiences can strengthen us physically and increase our self-confidence. Jack believed that “children are our greatest gift and hope for the future.” This fund was established by his wife, Sandi and her sons, Drew and Adam, upon Jack’s passing in 1998. Char-Em ISD colleagues and friends have supported this scholarship since that time.
(Applicants must be recommended by a Char-Em ISD employee or local school educator, students must be between 10-18 years of age to qualify)