How to Start a Fund
Through the Community Foundation, gifts of many sizes and for many purposes join together for the greatest good. Depending on your philanthropic priorities and your financial situation you can direct your gift to an existing fund, or create a new fund of your own. Learn more about the types of funds here.
Step By Step
- Call our office and set up a meeting.
- We'll discuss your charitable ideals and help you decide what kind of fund will best help you carry out your interests, identify the most appropriate form of asset to use in establishing your fund, and complete the paperwork.
- You may use cash, appreciated stock, bonds, real estate, or other personal property to establish a fund. (To maximize the fund's immediate impact and support its grant-making potential, the Community Foundation has established fund minimums that will be discussed during the initial meeting.)
- You select the type of fund and the name for the fund.
- Once the fund agreement is signed and the assets transferred, the process is complete and the fund is operational.
The fund's assets will be professionally invested and managed to grow over time. Depending on the fund specifics, a portion of the investment income will be used to make grants in accordance with the fund's purpose and your intent. You may add to your fund at any time and invite your friends and family who share your interests to do the same. It's a great way to celebrate a birthday or honor a special event.